RE: Barcode scanners...have I missed something here?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Barcode scanners...have I missed something here?
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:14:08 -0000

Ian,

It is possible to do this, i.e. build the electronics into the fridge's
door however, bear in mind that the fridge door is "foamed" and
there is
good reason for this. This stops hot air meeting cold and the consequent
condensation from forming and this can be a problem on EU cabinets that
are, by default, a maximum of 600mm deep as in EU kitchen unit depth.
The Yank ones are deeper and have far more substantial doors on them,
walk into John Lewis and you can see the difference!

To build into the door you would have to remove some of the insulation
and run the wiring inside the inner door panel, easy if it's not what we
refer to as a foamed door, that is the whole door is whapped together on
the line *then* the foam injected which is the case in 99% of cabinets
in the last few years, the downsides to this are that you cannot simply
pull the door apart and get it to re-seal, nor can you buy spares for
the actual door as such, it=92s a full new door at =A350 and upwards.

Another thing to remember is that the manufacturers have been trying to
get electronics to work in refrigeration for many a long year and most
of them do not live long, and they put them at the top or back of the
cabinet usually where they are away from the worst of the temperature
changes!

K.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>=20