RE: Barcode scanners...have I missed something here?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Barcode scanners...have I missed something here?
  • From: "James, Daniel" <daniel.james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:56:33 -0000

This is opening up a very interesting discussion.......

>For scanning in CD's, books, etc. do you not need a database of
barcodes
>that is valid?

yes you do,

>If so where are you gong to find one?

www.readerware.com amongst other things, this software takes the barcode
and
scans a number of websites for the matching products, my initial searches
found all the books I threw at it...
(with books the ISBN is the barcode).

This software has versions for Videos and CDs too.

There are other sites / software that are available that hold codes for
DVDs...

>I usually do the supermarket thing during the week at night, when I get
>back the last thing I want to do is unpack a load of shopping, let
alone
>unpack it, scan it, enter values etc.

I agree, but it depends how you are going to implement things, using it to
remind you to buy an item that you have finished, i.e. scanning before
binning the packaging, pint of milk, herbs etc... is how I would envisage
using it, simply to build a shopping list rather than to look at inventory
control. - The inventory control model would not work well for us, as we
don't cook the same stuff each week, but staples in the cupboard are always
needed.

>But here's the big one, I was talking to a rep for Lux and they said
>that one of the biggest problems they had with the product was getting
>people to *actually* remember to scan everything!

Isn't this on the holy grail for HA, its a culture change, seeing the
benefit for changing a process, (like pressing a button on a remote control
rather than getting up to turn lights on).

Change is a fascinating social science study, asides from the technology
used!!

Its like anything, if implemented properly it will soon become a help
rather
than a hindrance

my 0.02p

Daniel

This message is confidential and intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) only and remains the property of
Exchange FS Group plc. You should not disclose its contents
to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient
please notify the sender named above immediately.

Registered Office: Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham,
Surrey, KT11 1TE. Registered in England No. 2596452