RE: Comfort - X10 vs relays

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Comfort - X10 vs relays
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:09:51 -0000

=20
> I've mentioned before that we are building a house that should go
up=20
> this year. I've been putting together a list of all the electrical=20
> fittings I want. Amongst these are 15 lights that I would like to=20
> control. With X10 DIN units at =A335 each I was wondering if it was=20
> worth saving a few quid here. I've seen on the Comfort site some=20
> relays that are about half the cost. Is is worth using these for=20
> things like the outside lights?=20

No. don=92t use comfort for your lights. I would home run all the lighting
and all the power to the switches this way you have the most
flexability, you can do X10 or a hardwired control system or switch it
back to a traditional set up later if you move. T&E is dirt cheap. I
would also run cat5 to the switches again home run, there is a regs
issue when the two come together, you must not use the cat5 unless you
are not using the mains, its not a problem if you go to low voltage
control just ground all the conductors of the T&E in the wall box. Oh
and one last thing use full depth boxes for everything, by wich I mean
47mm.

John