Comfort - X10 vs relays

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comfort - X10 vs relays
  • From: "steevc" <steevc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:43:57 -0000

I've mentioned before that we are building a house that should go up=20
this year. I've been putting together a list of all the electrical=20
fittings I want. Amongst these are 15 lights that I would like to=20
control. With X10 DIN units at =A335 each I was wondering if it was=20
worth saving a few quid here. I've seen on the Comfort site some=20
relays that are about half the cost. Is is worth using these for=20
things like the outside lights?=20

I would still want manual control of those lights as well. I suppose=20
I could save a little more by wiring some as normal lights with the=20
option to upgrade later. It depends on how the money goes.

For the light on the landing I'd like to be able to make it come on=20
at a low level at certain times via a PIR for those late night trips=20
to the bathroom. The rest of the time it needs to be full brightness.=20
Is this possible?

My current plan is to split the X10 units between upstairs and down=20
to cut down a little on the cable runs. One lot can go under the=20
stairs and the other lot in the loft along with the Comfort unit,=20
patch panels etc.

It's all adding up to a lot of dosh.

Steve