Re: Re: Comfort - X10 vs relays

Comfort is perfectly capable.

I currently switch around 8 lights with relays as you describe. Using comfort's cpu for main lights and a pc via the ucm for the complex stuff.

At 21:54 06/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:
As a newbie who is about to purchase comfort I am intrigued as to why
it would not make an appropriate choice for ONOFF control of outdoor
lighting /pond bits.

My plan had been to put between 6 and 8 relays in an enclosure next
to the current one and run the relavent low voltage switching via
comfort which will be housed in node 0 roughly half way between the
lights etc and the consumer unit.

I had expected Comfort to be as robust if not more so than a PC based
X10 solution and probably on a par with Homeseer and X10.

As well as manual switching of the lights, I would like them to
activate in response to an alarm event and this seems the easiest
(read cheapest) way to do this. Also using this method would give me
status information, would it not? (I am assuming you can poll comfort
using ACE or something and see which outputs are doing what)

For internal lighting I intend to use Clipsal CBUS.

As installing any of this is going to require pretty major work it
will be going with the house when we sell it, so I am not worried
about backwards compatability.

Any thoughts/advice welcomed

Cheers

Paul

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Dr John Tankard" <john@s...> wrote:

> > I've mentioned before that we are building a house that should go
up
> > this year. I've been putting together a list of all the
electrical
> > fittings I want. Amongst these are 15 lights that I would like to
> > control. With X10 DIN units at £35 each I was wondering if it was
> > worth saving a few quid here. I've seen on the Comfort site some
> > relays that are about half the cost. Is is worth using these for
> > things like the outside lights?
>
> No. don't use comfort for your lights. I would home run all the
lighting
> and all the power to the switches this way you have the most
> flexability, you can do X10 or a hardwired control system or switch
it
> back to a traditional set up later if you move. T&E is dirt cheap. I
> would also run cat5 to the switches again home run, there is a regs
> issue when the two come together, you must not use the cat5 unless
you
> are not using the mains, its not a problem if you go to low voltage
> control just ground all the conductors of the T&E in the wall box.
Oh
> and one last thing use full depth boxes for everything, by wich I
mean
> 47mm.
>
> John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor