RE: Buying Tivo's My Experience

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Buying Tivo's My Experience
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <hiltoneltd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:31:29 -0000

Don

I have never heard of the address chips being swapped, as it is almost certainly not socketed you would have a high chance of ending up with two dead tivos!

To be honest if you follow the instructions and don't drop a cuppa on the open unit I think the chances of success are very high. Putting a 120 gb disc in to get around 40 hours of best quality recording (I think) has got to be worth it!

There are also a couple of guys on the Tivo forum who will do the upgrade for you if you are really worried.

The Ethernet hack looks great, it is just a pity there doesnt seem to be away to mount networked drives on the tivo. I believe it uses raw disc formats which is probably why although the Linux Gurus will probably know better;)

Mick