Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] OT Barcode Scanner- how do I get it to work

Run a terminal emulator to see what it's sending ( you may need to try several baud rates till you get the right one)

This type is more difficult to cater for than the keyboard wedge ones, you'll either need a special driver or cater for it in your code, the latter option is nicer because you don't need the focus to be on a specific field waiting for the barcode data to arrive.

With most of these things the manual has a load of barcodes in it for configuration of things like serial speed, barcode standards to recognise (2 of 5, codabar, 3 of 9 etc etc) and lead in and termination characters to send. Most of these tend to recommend disabling barcode standards that are not going to be used to increase reading accuracy, This is bad news for you if you can't get the manual and the last user had it configured solely for 3 of 9.

Alan Shields
alan@xxxxxxx