Re: Re: Computer Controlled Underfloor heating

Bill,

You're right about the response time of UFH.  But with using something like
HV as a controller rooms can have different setback temperatures dependant
upon things like occupancy and external temperature.  UFH has latency so you
can program external weather compensation into your schedule  ie. by knowing
both the room temperature and the external temperature the room temperature
can be controlled before an external temperature change has an affect on the
room.

With occupancy detection the room is already held at an 'room unoccupied'
temperature, say 18oC, and then triggered to an 'occupied' temperature, say
21oC, allowing the room to warm up quicker.  Doesn't matter if you quickly
leave the room, you haven't really 'lost' anything - the valve will turn off
and the room will drop to the setback temperature again.  If you stay in the
room then it's going to do what you had intended it to do!  The same room
could have another setback temperature of 16oC when the house is unoccupied.
This all helps to save energy which is important, especially in a house like
mine that is exposed and with most rooms having 3 external walls.

I've only used UFH in 3 rooms that are likely to be at a fairly constant
temperature anyway - kitchen, office and downstairs loo.  The rest of the
house has conventional radiators which are much quicker to respond -
although not as efficient and comfortable as UFH.  Most UFH systems are
approx 25% more efficient than using radiators and if I could have I'd have
fitted UFH in more rooms.

Regards

Simon