RE: Re: Electronics Gurus brain required...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Electronics Gurus brain required...
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:02:28 +0100

Spot on Andy. The tranny TR1 only needs to be small as there is no current
flow. TR2 however takes the full flow from up to x number of emitters so
needs to be suitably sized. It also needs to switch at a rate suitable for
IR transmission.

All this switching on and off of current can set up a resonating effect
which is undesirable for circuit operation. A decoupling cap acts like a
battery and when there is a demand it helps the power supply by discharging
some of its stored energy. When there is no demand it charges up again.
Ideally it should be calculated with charge and discharge rate associated
with the IR but his is more knowledge than I have currently. I work on the
'copy other circuits' principal and pinch another's ideas and values. I
guess you could have lots o small caps at each diode take off or one near
the power supply that is larger. Trial and error here is good as long as
they are connected up correctly.

For testing purposes I would build the circuit up from the IR end back
towards HV testing each bit worked. If not you may end up with a non working
circuit and not the foggiest where it is going wrong.

Hope this is helpful

Ian B

p.s. Babs arrived so my time is a little short at the moment and I am
knackered!! Mum and daughter doing well, no names decided on yet.