RE: HV IR Distribution Was Gurus brain required...

Andy,

Have you had a look at some of the products offered by Niles Audio.  They seem to have a number of IR distribution products.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/misc_products/infrared.html

I think one of the main advantages/features of this type of system is that the sensors give you an LED on/off status of the product you are controlling in addition to the usual 'blink'

Mark