Re: Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

----- Original Message -----
From: Kenneth Watt
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 12:28 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

>> I'm gonna let the issue with adsl go as you said virtually :)

>A slight technical hitch but since I cannot get ADSL it's not really an=
>issue for me. However, SS is not exactly without its flaws is it?

Showshifter has 'flaws'. Tivo has 'slight technical hitchs'.. I starting to=
see a pattern here..

>> Yeah, it's not for everyone yet. Its a pc thing. The interface is = a
little
>> clunky, and not very pretty. Good points. Is it the best PVR for >> EVERYBODY.
>> hmm, no, I suppose my mum wouldn't be able to set it up..

>No, exactly the point of a one-box solution and gaining mass-market
>acceptance and appeal!

OK. I've already conceeded that point!

>> Um, once it's working a little better, I'll bung the program on th= e
web
>> (Don't hold your breath for it, it might be a while). You won't ha= ve
>> write it.  I think I might put in a option whereby you have t= o
register by
>> sending me a email headed 'Showshifter is a more powerful, more versitile
>> and expandable system than a simple one trick pony like TIVO' in t= he
>> subject.. ;)

>Well that'll catch on...buy SS then write your own plug ins to make it<= BR> >function as you like! ;-)

Um, yeah it's strength is that it runs on a pc and is controllable and open= .
Try and write a plugin to Tivo to handle mp3's :)

>Ha ha, forget the mail, how about "SS is cheaper and maybe more fl= exible
>but the downside is it's a pig to set up and use!"

Yeah, it's more flexible.
Yeah, setting up a pc isn't for my mum. Already admitted.. (Hold on, this i= s
leading somewhere..)

It's not a 'pig' to use, but it ain't pretty. The setup gets better all the=
time. This is the advantage of being software.

>> Yeah, Showshifters con's are... The interface is obtrusive and not= very
>> pretty. It needs setting up. It needs a pc.
>>
>> The pro's are.. no subscription of any kind. More expandable more<= BR> >>flexible more powerful.

>True, but then it's functionality I want and ease of use, I also have >expanded TiVo almost to the point where there is no further benefit to<= BR> >be gained.

Hang on. Your Tivo is expanded?

Could my Mum expand a Tivo? (no)
Would she know where to look to find out how? (no)
Would she open the box and void the warranty? (no)

So Showshifter requires technical knowledge, and expanding a Tivo doesn't?<= BR> I would argue Tivo requires more to hack as Linux is involved, which is
unfirmliar to most light pc users...

My Mum could get Showshifter running before she could get a Tivo hacked.
If you have that technical knowledge (as most people on this list I would guess have) then you have the choice of systems.

>> When Tivo's first hit =A3199 I thought real hard about it, and had= a real
go
>> at Showshifter. One clean install later I got Showshifter rock sol= id on
XP
>> and never looked back.
>>
>> Good point about the average punter though.. Got me on that one fa= ir and
>> square.

>Yes. I know ;-)

So I summerise.

The average punter could setup Tivo easier than Showshifter at the moment.<= BR> Agreed.
Showshifter is more flexible. Agreed.

The average punter could setup Showshifter easier than hacking a Tivo?

My point is that that Showshifter, if they make it look a little less fishe= r
price in the interface, will be a superset of what Tivo is.
I have room under my tv for just one box. It does this.

It records tv
It timeshifts tv
It schedules tv
It edits out ads (nearly)
It can play dvd's
It can burn dvd's(nearly)
It plays mp3.
It plays cd's
It handles my security cameras.
It handles Caller-id answerphone.
I can control it remotely from fuji or any other pc.
(It did do internet sharing to bridged wired wireless adapters, but I neede= d
an access point as I now have two wireless systems)

The reason for this is that... It's still a pc!

Tivo would do this..

It records tv
It timeshifts tv
It schedules tv

Now, does Tivo do these 3 things better than showshifter at the moment? Yes= .
Just about. At the moment.
But I would not trade all the other functionality for the slight edge? No.<= BR>
Anyway, I think I've spent way to long going over this, so I think I'll sav= e
>from Which I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear :)

Jason

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""
3D""