RE: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

> If you know what you're doing, it'll be quite secure.  Not
> matter how well
> you set it up, it will be less secure because of that service.

True, but less secure does not automatically mean 'insecure' and may well
still be 'secure enough'.
Remember, this is security for a home lan, not an internet bank for
instance.

> > caught by one of the other machines in the setup (I really
> must lookup
> > that book to refresh my memory on the function of each PC in the
> > firewall).
>
> ITYF it was something along the lines of....
>
> Internet > firewall > web server > firewall > back end server
> > firewall >
> LAN

You might be right there ted - I'll try to find it tonite.
Certainly there's shed loads of servers in both solutions.....

> > What if it is in a cupboard? :)
>
> Grey area ;-)

:]

> > > Before someone tells me to get off my high horse, I'd like to
[...]
> > Can't see anyone saying that.
>
> I know, but I feel such a hypocrite :-/

Oh alright then 'get down off your high horse mr paranoid.  What makes you
think your little corner of the net is SOOOOO important that you're gonna
have hackers beating a virtual path to your door?  There's far more
interesting web servers out there to hack than andyweb.com :-)
There - does that make you feel better? :->>>>
(Just coz you believe X is the right thing to do doesn't reclude you from
doing Y instead.  Maybe you're a woman :-))

> Sorry, I'm not explaining myself too well.  I was just
> pointing out that
> your mewas less secure.  Nothing else.  I was referring to

Okay.  I don't disgree that it's less secure, but as I said earlier, less
secure can still mean secure enough.....

> for it, as long as you understand the risks.  A firewall of any
> description is better than none at all.

Very true.  I definitely agree on that one.

> > > Andy (running a Microsoft firewall at home :-/ )
> >
> > And you think I'm not secure :-)  At least my hardware router is the
> > external 'face' of the lan
>
> That's why I feel hypocritical.

heh heh.  I wish to change my last statement:
"I definitely agree on that one, as long as it's not a Microsoft firewall"
:-D

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority