Re: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

> > If you know what you're doing, it'll be quite secure.  Not
> > matter how well
> > you set it up, it will be less secure because of that service.
>
> True, but less secure does not automatically mean 'insecure' and may
> well still be 'secure enough'.
> Remember, this is security for a home lan, not an internet bank for
> instance.

Agreed.

> [...]
>
> > > Can't see anyone saying that.
> >
> > I know, but I feel such a hypocrite :-/
>
> Oh alright then 'get down off your high horse mr paranoid.  What makes
> you think your little corner of the net is SOOOOO important that you're
> gonna have hackers beating a virtual path to your door?  There's far
> more interesting web servers out there to hack than andyweb.com :-)
> There - does that make you feel better? :->>>>

Cheers ;-)

> (Just coz you believe X is the right thing to do doesn't reclude you
> from doing Y instead.  Maybe you're a woman :-))

I'm doing the same as you, I only pointed out that you will be
compromising security.  I don't think we disagree on this (or any other)
point.  I'd like to keep my manhood though!

> > Sorry, I'm not explaining myself too well.  I was just
> > pointing out that
> > your mewas less secure.  Nothing else.  I was referring to
>
> Okay.  I don't disgree that it's less secure, but as I said earlier,
> less secure can still mean secure enough.....

Yup.

> > for it, as long as you understand the risks.  A firewall of any
> > description is better than none at all.
>
> Very true.  I definitely agree on that one.

:-)

> > > And you think I'm not secure :-)  At least my hardware router is the
> > > external 'face' of the lan
> >
> > That's why I feel hypocritical.
>
> heh heh.  I wish to change my last statement:
> "I definitely agree on that one, as long as it's not a Microsoft
> firewall"

I'm working on it!

Andy (unsubbed from ukha_d for a week to get work done, but it doesn't
help :-/ )
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.co.uk - updated 03/07