Re: OT(ish): Whole house movies (and a possible project)

> Recently I have had conversations with a couple of guys here about how
> we would like to control movie viewing. The consensus seemed to be some
> sort of front-end application that could scroll through a database of
> movie information and would, at the click of a button or press of a
> finger, play the selected movie.

Keith had something like this at London, a Divx jukebox.

> one excellent source is DVDProfiler. It has a huge database that has all
> of this information for an enormous selection of films. It also has some
> nice browsing and maintenance software. However it is Region 1 biased,
> so for example the cover shot for
> 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' is completely different to mine.

Most films have the region 2 version in the DVD Profiler database too.

> possible. I am also pretty sure that UPC code is not unique.

However, as you say, the UPC is not unique.  Some of my DVDs were starting
to appear as German titles as they had the same code.  The
"internationalisation" of DVD Pro has been a promised upgrade for over a
year now without any sign of it.

> 5. The front end application: my preference here is for a web based
> application that can easily port to different devices. The DVDProfiler
> front end is very nice, but it is not web based

There is an online web based version of your collection if you register.

> so you could not easily put it on a PDA for example.

Dunno about easy, but some people have put it on their PDAs.

> favouring a bespoke application and for maximum portability I am leaning
> towards a web based front end. This means that my devices of choice will
> be laptops, PDAs, web tablets and so on.

Yep, this is defo the way forward.

> Now this is where I am starting to think about a new group project.

Has this group ever finished a project yet? :)

> The second significant task is the population of the database. The
> databases I have seen out there (IMDB, DVDProfiler and others) are very
> impressive, but as I have already explained, none of them would work for
> me or quite a few others on this list. So the only option is to populate
> our own database

Hmmmm..this is a MAJOR task.  I recom DVDProfiler has everything you
need...IF you can use their DB?

M.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
{short