RE: re Digital TV !!!OFF TOPIC!!!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: re Digital TV !!!OFF TOPIC!!!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:27:51 -0000

> I've been looking for a DVD multiplayer and found a very nice
> 403 disk changer from Kenwood.  Kenwood are using Faroudja
> circuitry in some of their DVD players, and they're not too
> expensive.
> http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=25
> &productId=782

Be aware that although Faroudja do make some of the best video
processors on the planet the Faroudja chipset that has caused the stir
in the Skyworth players is actually *NOT* that hot ... I have spent
quite a lot of time comparing the output from the Skyworth with the
video scaler built into the Sony G70 CRT projector and the scaling on my
TView QuadScan and I would have to say that the Skyworth wasn't *THAT*
good ... It did fall over on some images that both the Sony and the
TView didn't even flinch at. (Having said that we were using the montage
of images from Video Essentials which is a real test for any scaler!) Of
course there were other sequences that the Skyworth handled well that
the TView and Sony didn't!

> I can't find the above player in the UK but Techronics do the
> slightly lesser spec model but with multi-region.
> http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-kenwood-dvf-j6050-multi-
> region-dvd-pla
> yer.html

Looks a great player ... Component video daisychaining is good however I
would suggest finding out whether there is also daisy chaining for the
digital audio too otherwise you're still going to be using multiple
inputs for multiple players. Wonder if the RS232 interface will also
control the player functionally as well as just being used for disc
titling?

> Also, what you mentioned regarding 100Hz sets - I once saw a
> DVD playing on a 100Hz Toshiba rear projector with a very
> strange screen flicker, a bit like a beat frequency.

Usually it's most noticeable on sports such as football or cricket...

Phil

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx