Re: re Digital TV !!!OFF TOPIC!!!

Phil,

I've been looking for a DVD multiplayer and found a very nice 403 disk
changer from Kenwood.  Kenwood are using Faroudja circuitry in some of
their
DVD players, and they're not too expensive.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=25&productId=782

I can't find the above player in the UK but Techronics do the slightly
lesser spec model but with multi-region.
http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-kenwood-dvf-j6050-multi-region-dvd-pla
yer.html

I agree with your points regarding picture quality.  I've been watching a
lot of DVDs recently and thought that the picture was about as good as it
could get.  That was until I found an old VHS-C tape I recorded on a
Panasonic palmcorder which I hadn't played for about 10 years.  The picture
quality looked great!  The colours were really vivid and vibrant - although
the sound was crappy!
Recently I've been thinking that DVDs concentrate on the soundtrack and
sound format and forgetting how important the quality of the picture
information is.  I'm not complaining about soundtracks mind!  But many DVDs
are marketed on the fact that the soundtrack is DTS.  Why don't the
manufacturers list the compression ratio (or compression quality) alongside
all the other info on the back of the DVD cover?

Also, what you mentioned regarding 100Hz sets - I once saw a DVD playing on
a 100Hz Toshiba rear projector with a very strange screen flicker, a bit
like a beat frequency.

Regards

Simon