RE: Widescreen switching

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Widescreen switching
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:41:24 -0000

Title: Message
The primary reasoning behind SCART was to stem the flow of imported sets into the EU.

A law was passed that all sets > 21" must have at least one SCART to allow for the introduction of High Definition DMAC transmissions.

The reality...... all the Far Eastern manufacturers imeadiately started fitting SCART's to all the sets they made and the European manufacturers lagged behind.

The first SCART set I had was a 22" Ferguson FST and it had NON STANDARD pin assignments :-(
They hijacked one of the Audio Out pins to output +12V whenever Channel 32 was selected so that a bit of kit that didnt have a switching signal could be connected by wiring the 12V output to Pin8.

Other manufacturers have had poor implementations as well.

I had a 26" Phillips that would show E1 or E2 on the display for AV or RGB input but as long as Pin8 was highthere was no way to override it.
I also had a Goldstar TV that disabled the Tuner output on the SCART whenever a signal was input to it.

My 25" JVC has 2 SCART's that are both S-Video enabled but the Composite/S-Video switching is from the remote. I discovered the other day that AV1 also supports RGB but ONLY by grabbing Pin16, there is NO WAY to select RGB from the remote.

The basic concept was a good one but I would have done it much differently.

Keith