Re: In celing mics.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: In celing mics.
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:36:37 -0000

Well - people tend to look at me funny when I mention HA BEFORE I
talk about voice control, especially when they ask how much it's all
costing!

A few further questions on the Kustom if you don't mind:

1) I looked at this to do what you talked about with regard to IR
distribution. I asked the tech people in the US if it could do this
but they 'seemed' to suggest that it would only distribute IR
commands from a zone to it's relevant output i.e. you couldn't get a
global or summed output. Is this the case?

2) I also wanted to be able to control any zone volume, mute etc
>from
kitchen, mute volume in Living Room or have HomeVision control all
or any zones. Is this possible?

3) Will the Kustom 'pass through' IR commands or does it have to
learn any that it will pass i.e. do you have to teach it every IR
sequence (with a limit to the number that can be recognised)?

4) Which wall plate(s) do you have and how good do they look?

5) Where did you source your unit from?

That's all for the moment!

Thanks,

Paul.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Eamon  O'Gorman" <eamonogorman@e...>
wrote:
> Well, another good point about the Kustom, is that you can use the
keypads
> as an IR repeater system for the house also (although I dont know
the
> xantech system, you could probably do the same). I have on of the
Kustom
> base units IR outputsd wired to a buffalo IR splitter, and each
output goes
> to the source equipment, and one goes to homevision. I have then
programmed
> macros into the keypads, which do various things to HV. Four
Macros for heat
> (one for each zone, and one for all four zones on a timer). I also
have a
> goodnight macro on all keypads, so when I go to bed at night, it
tells HV to
> shut down the house and turn Comfort security on to night mode. It
wasnt
> something I had initially planned on, I thought I would have had
to install
> a seperate IR distribution system, but then though of using
Kustoms keypads
> and it works great.... That, plus the paging facility for whole
house
> announcements makes it very usefull for HA (and its CE
approved....) It has
> actually turned out to be a major part of of my HA setup,
controlling video,
> tv, sat and DVD functions also.
>
>   On the voice control again, I have had some success tonight after
> following some tips from Mike Huggins. Pretty accurate recognition
(90%) in
> the test setup I have in my PC room, although this is just using a
mixer,
> without the gates, and one mic only. I think you have to accept
that in
> noisy rooms its just not going to be reliable enough, but I reserve
> judgement on how usefull its going to be.
>
>    I also had homevoice, which has its plus's.. I would argue that
the
> recognition of homevoice may be better as its trained, and each
specific
> command is trained, but HAL seems to be more flexible in what it
can do.
> Shopping lists (wifey friendly bit, clever marketing by HAL),
macros, phone
> facility (and the recognition over the phone is excellent...),
schedules,
> reminders, email, news, weather, phone directory and autodialing,
CID
> (although I believe there are problems with this in the UK, it
seems to work
> to a fashion over here), internet, email, voicemail....  and on
and on...

> If the recognition can be good enough, its going to be pretty cool
once its
> working. Although when all is said and done, is VR usefull or just
a toy ?.
> People tend to be interested when you tell them about HA, but when
you
> mention voice control, they tend to look at you funny....
>
> Eamon

But

<eamonogorman@e...> wrote:
> > > I've got a similar set up to the one the chap in the U.S is
> > talking about, I
> > > am using the Kustom 6640, which I hope to be able to use the
page
> > input for
> > > whole house announcements. As to mounting the mics in the
ceiling,
> > I dont
> > > see as there is any other real choice,,,,, wall mounting is
out of
> > the
> > > question (wifey would rather rip out my spine than let me
chase
> > the walls).
> > >
> > >     I got some tips from Mike at letsautomate, so I am going
> > try these
> > > and see how I get on. If there are any sound engineers out
there,
> > can they
> > > please explain to me what the hell  "Soft Knee "
or "Hard Knee"
> > means on a
> > > liimiter/gate for a start, and then explain what the other
14
> > knobs annd
> > > buttons do.....
> > >
> > > Regards,

> [...]