RE: Cheapest Pronto

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cheapest Pronto
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:21:02 -0000

> I've just ordered my 1MB one from letsautomate.com for 135
> not including the
> dock. As IMO it's not worth it - and it will be like the dect
> phones they never
> end up in their charging cradle - great game hunting for the
> phone before the
> answer machine cuts in!!

Yeah, I've had a 1MB with no dock for ages and have hardly used any
batteries..... And the places I normally keep it are in the middle of
the room, so trailing cables to get to docks wouldn't work.

> I've noticed that all of my AV stuff has the same button to
> power on as to power off.
> So how do you set it up to turn all your equipment on or off,
> if someone has powered
> on from the equipment itself?

Depending on your kit, you should be able to get what are called
discrete codes - have a look at www.remotecentral.com - most
manufacturers have them with the notable exception of Toshiba. But if
yours doesn't support them, there are ways around it.... Eg my Toshiba
TV only has toggle power, but I know if I send 1 to it, it will wake up
on tuner Channel 1, so to force power off always, I can send a 1 which
will either switch it on, or if already on, change the channel, then
wait a second or two and send a power off.

> Can the pronto have variables so that it can remember
> that I have powered on the amp and then configure the volume
> keys to be the amp volume
> rather than the TV volume, which it would be if just the TV was on?

Not variables as such, but you can get around it with programming....
That particular example doesn't affect me as I always use my amp... ;)
but your volume controls can be defined as global on the home panel,
then certain devices can override them with their local settings.

HTH

Doogie