RE: Bathroom automation questions... (LONG!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Bathroom automation questions... (LONG!)
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:28:01 +0000

>Outside is good in that you don't have to have a pull cord.  That's
what I
>did.

Hmm.. I could live with outside, provided I've got control from inside,
which I obviously would have if it's X10'd...

>What about using the LV switch to operate a loft mounted mains relay?
That
>would give you simple ON/OFF.

Dimming is a SWMBO priority requirement though....

>What about http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/review-secretswitch.html
- the
>guts are ceiling/loft mounted.  Perhaps you could stick a normal
(dummy)
>switch over the aerial to make it look 'normal'.

Hmm... these aren't externally (ie HA) controllable are they?? - is there
any way that a secret switch could be used as the switch input to an LD11
module? - otherwise using one of these alone would not allow the HA system
to control the lights... (be cool if it could be integrated into an X10
solution though!)

>If regulations permit, why not put the switched fused spur outside the
>bathroom (say airing cupboard) and put an AD10 after it.  A momentary
>switch
>could then be put outside the bathroom (by the lightswitch maybe) that
>would
>toggle the AD10.  You would still be able to isolate the radiator via
the

Unfortunately, there is nothing the other side of the bathroom wall apart
>from
fused spur unit...

>switched fused spur, and the correct fuse would protect the cable.  You
>will
>need to check that this means of isolation will satisfy the
regulations.
>My
>guess is that it should ideally be RCD protected - you can get RCD
>conection
>units, see http://www.screwfix.com/product.phtml?4770

My house consumer unit has MCB's that trip at the double whenever a bulb
blows, is that not the same thing? I'm sure the sparks will tell me when he
comes to fit it if I have to do it differently...

>What about plumbing the towel radiator into the hot water loop - that
way
>you can dry towels during summer too when you have the CH off and only
HW
>on.  Inline valves mean that you can shut it down as well.

Unfortunately, the radiator in question specifically states it is to
plumbed
into a closed heating system only, and must NOT go on a DHW supply...

>Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Gobble!.... Burp!