OT: ISP questions + on topic PS

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: OT: ISP questions + on topic PS
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:20:17 -0000

As some of you are no doubt aware, V21 are the latest 'unmetered' ISP=20
to be changing their terms and conditions to deter us undesirable=20
people who might actually want to use the service we pay for. For=20
those of you with V21 who are not aware of this, have a look here,=20
http://www.v21.co.uk/helpdesk/more/new_accounts.htm.
Note that you=20
have to dig deep in the V21 site to find this, on their home page=20
they are still promoting 24/7 unmetered access for =A39.99!

Anyway, it means yet again I will need to find an alternative ISP for=20
my connection (my email and web hosting will always remain with=20
a 'real' ISP who do not offer unmetered connections and are likely to=20
be around long term). So, does anyone have any suggestions.

Another question is slightly related. I have a client whose web site=20
I am going to be hosting on my server (which is colocated with=20
my 'real' ISP). I run DNS on my server along with Exchange 5.5 and I=20
want to offer email routing to the client. I have already done this=20
for another client and it works really well. I have set up routing in=20
the Exchange IMS so that email sent to anyname[at]domain1[dot]com is=20
relayedyname@xxxxxxx where domain1 is the domain that matches the=20
client's web site and domain2 is their real email domain which is=20
provided by their ISP. The problem is that my new client has their=20
email account with V21 and so their email address is uniquename[at]21
[dot]co[dot]uk. As I understand it, Exchange can not relay all domain=20
mail to a single account and so the approach I used with my previous=20
client will not work here. So, I am now thinking that I should get=20
the client to change their ISP to one that offers unmetered=20
connection AND gives an email address that has a unique domain that I=20
can relay to. Again any suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Graham

P.S. I have finally started rewiring my house for X10. I now have=20
bathroom, landing and Aaron's bedroom all controlled through LD11's=20
with Clipsal rocker switches. There has been instant approval from=20
the entire family. I now intend to work through the house doing a=20
room every month.

P.P.S. I used T&E with a cable to each switch and each 'set' of=20
lights. However I did notice an old message in my inbox about using 4=20
core wire with Live and Switched Live and I am now a little confused.=20
Am I right in thinking that this is simply a way to reduce the cable=20
runs from the LD11 with switching and lighting being in the same=20
cable, or should I be using 4 core for some other reason?