Re: Wireless - what range?

> > You'll *need* line-of-sight for 1KM.  I've tracked down a couple
of
sites
> on
> > making antennae...
> >
> You're probably right, but I have read somewhere of a guy that has a
link
> with an antenna (Yagi IIRC) at one end in a loft!
> Extending the range of my WLAN is something I have been looking into
with
> the intention of connecting to a mate approx 400m away. We dont have
LOS
but
> I think we could with a 2m or so mast at each end - something I'm not
too
> keen on.

I think you'll need the masts.  Obstructions make more difference than
distance.  You can essentially go as far as you like providing you have a
clear fresnel zone, but the problem is when the fresnel zone isn't clear.
Also you have the ETSI regulations to think about.  I really do recommend
you speak to the guys on the http://consume.net mailing list if you're
building your own antenna.

> Some useful info here:
> http://www.wlan2.dabsol.co.uk/page2.html
> http://www.kcip.com/wireless/
(there is a link somewhere on this site of
how
> to build an antenna with UK specific parts)
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dslalt
> I will probably buy a couple of antennas from these guys
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325326919

Useful links, especially the antenna page off the first link.  I really
should bookmark pages I visit, as there's a page about making a
medium-range
directional antenna from a CD spindle somewhere.

> There seems to be a lot of grey areas still and I am still unsure
exactly
> what to do. I mean, I can get a connection to my LAN from inside a car
(I
> wasn't going to walk down the road with a laptop) approx 50m away!
Surely
> couple of Yagis that can easily go >1km with direct LOS could
manage 400m
if
> they were mounted in a loft?

Possibly.  It depends what the roof is made of, and how thick.

> If/when I work out the best way go about doing a link, I will let you
know
> how I get on.

Please do.

Andy