Re: Wireless - what range?

----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Laurence <andylaurence@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Wireless - what range?

> > > 802.11b can be pushed up to 15km these days but, as has been
mentioned,
> > > you need some good aerials, etc.
> >
> > Mark after a good while searching, I can't find any info of long
range
> > 802.11b, any further than 400meters.
> > Good you through me a link, or some more information, as a fe
mates in
my
> > local town, ormskirk, are going to setup a wireless network, for
gaming,
> > voip, remotecontrol, of peeps houses, (one mate has a RC car,
that can
be
> > controlled from his PC) tothers have x10 bits, and webcams, so
the info
> > would be great, as we need to brige a gap of about 1KM to reach
one
mate.

> You'll *need* line-of-sight for 1KM.  I've tracked down a couple of
sites
on
> making antennae...

You're probably right, but I have read somewhere of a guy that has a link
with an antenna (Yagi IIRC) at one end in a loft!
Extending the range of my WLAN is something I have been looking into with
the intention of connecting to a mate approx 400m away. We dont have LOS
but
I think we could with a 2m or so mast at each end - something I'm not too
keen on.

Some useful info here:
http://www.wlan2.dabsol.co.uk/page2.html

http://www.kcip.com/wireless/
(there is a link somewhere on this site of how
to build an antenna with UK specific parts)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dslalt

I will probably buy a couple of antennas from these guys
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325326919
They seem to do quite a range of stuff it's also the cheapest I have found.
They also sell antennas with the correct connectors for various access
points & cards. e.g my Linksys has RP-TNC connectors which aren't
standard.

There seems to be a lot of grey areas still and I am still unsure exactly
what to do. I mean, I can get a connection to my LAN from inside a car (I
wasn't going to walk down the road with a laptop) approx 50m away! Surely a
couple of Yagis that can easily go >1km with direct LOS could manage
400m if
they were mounted in a loft?

If/when I work out the best way go about doing a link, I will let you know
how I get on.

Justin.