RE: Re: Wireless - what range?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Wireless - what range?
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:32:47 -0000

> What about walkie talkies?  lo-tech, not HA related, but
> cheap-ish to buy & no running costs apart from batteries?
> Even if u could get a WiFi signal, you'd probably only be
> able to realistically do text chatting & any SWMBO I know
> prefers to actually talk (usually incessantly!) to the other
> other party.
>
> Obviously from the monitoring POV walkies r no good - u could
> get a telescope though :]

I got some walkie talkies for my SWMBO when her best friend moved in a
few doors down. Bought rechargeable ones with the intention of leaving
them connected to charger 24/7, but they had to be switched from
charging mode into using mode. The ones I looked at usually had (I
think) standby time of around 12 hours on rechargeable or 30 ish on
normal alkalines, which is no good to keep on all the time... Either
buying a lot of batteries or keeping it switched off then using SMS or
something to say "Switch on your walkie talkie"..... Ended up
taking
them back for a refund.

I'll be watching this thread closely, but in my case, the other party
doesn't even have a PC, so VOIP solutions won't help me ;)

Doogie