Re: RS232 or RF X10?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RS232 or RF X10?
  • From: Andy Bovingdon <bov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:19:18 +0000

Only a year into HA - but I have quickly learned that the
combination of IR or RF to send a command that then affects
the lights can be way too slow. If I want to go into a room
at night to simply pick up something I left in there - buy
the time the lights react I have fumbled, found and left.
The combination of LD10's with real switches works well, it's
fast and usable and still gives the flexibility.

So, given the choice a hardwired solution is best in my
opinion - but whether Lutron is the way to go? No idea as
I have not played with it. Can you set up macro's to
turn things on and off at dusk/dawn etc? Can you tie it
into cinema room controls without having to purchase a
Crestron on AMX system?

Hope this helps.

At 09:54 PM 12-02-02 +0000, you wrote:

>I m in the planning phase for my new gaff, and I m in two minds as to
how
>to proceed.
>

>I m intending to automate all lights in the place, and at the moment
there
>seem to be two options:
>

>Either use AD10s and LD10s together with X10 RF keypads with some form
of
>Automation controller to fire off macros, or go the whole hog and
install
>some form of Lutron hard-wired system.
>

>The advantages of the X-10 system are cost and simplicity of wiring.
With