Re: Ceiling Lights & Local Control

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Ceiling Lights & Local Control
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:54:58 +0000

Is this a "Eureka moment" ?

A quick thought occurs to me regarding getting status reporting back to a
controller when fitting LD11's...

I've used one of the current sensors that Comfort sell, and I'd thought
about using one of these per controlled light fitting, but thats daftly
expensive as the sensors are about £12 a pop.

But, could you not add a cheap mains transformer (e.g. M**lins part
YN12N)on
the cable between the LD11 & the light fitting, in parallel with the
light,
then run the secondary (which can be 3/6/9/12/15V) back to an input on
HV/Comfort whatever? - then whenever the light is on, the transformer is
on,
and the input to said controller has the chosen voltage applied to it...

Keith, feel free to jump in here and embarass me by telling us all why this
is a very bad idea and couldn't possibly work!!!

The M**lins part is £3.49 for 1-off quantities, with reductions for 10+,
but
we all know that they are not the cheapest place in the world, so I'm sure
it ought to be possible to bulk buy suitable transformers for no more that
couple of quid each. They can be really very small (much smaller than the
LD11 itself), so the additional bulk shouldn't be an issue...

Not quite as easy as X10 status reporting, and you *do* obviously have an
additional wire to run between the light and N0, but if you're already
doing
that....

Just a thought....

Paul G.