Ceiling Lights & Local Control

  • To: "UKHA_D" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Ceiling Lights & Local Control
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:37:56 -0000

You know with all this talk of ceiling lights and local control it got
me thinking :-)

This seems to be a *major* stumbling block for, particularly newcomers,
to the X10 gig and the socket rocket and AW10U are just not cutting it
at all, so here's a thought for you guys.

Why not build a small housing to take an LD11 and fix a ceiling fitting
directly to the case. The case could be partially recessed into the
Gyproc for the ceiling giving a reasonable finish; the only technical
bit is getting the casing so it can be painted to match the
surroundings. Then you would end up with a wart on the ceiling I hear
you cry, but then WTF is a socket rocket except a typical X10 eyesore?

The LD11 is really physically quite compact and if it weren't for those
pesky batons that most sparkies secure fittings too you could almost
sink the thing right into the ceiling, totally. I'm sure that there has
to something that can be done!

You could even whap a hole in the ceiling, install the module then put a
decorative rose over (high WAF?), paint and no-one would know the
difference. The only problem with that, that I can see anyway, is
getting access should the fuse or the module need swapped out, to be
fair on that count though I have had a couple of old LD10's running for
over two years and never swapped a fuse and they work perfectly every
time.

As for wiring, well if you are going to use an LD11 you need momentary
contact at the switch anyway so just use the existing switch wire to the
fitting and change the configuration accordingly.

Still no status response, but hey, that's an X10 problem not an
installation one!

This is something I was going to look at in the one room I just cannot
get access to the space above the ceiling rose in, but I was thinking on
the new tiny A10 lamp module to solve the problem, but at a cost almost
double the cost of an LD11 IIRC.

Now how's that for a sticky plaster solution :-)

K., @ Work, should be working! ;-)