RE: Wireless network cards

> > Sorry, yeah, knew one was used for wireless card, but seems
> rather odd &
> > also why I thought maybe it's a mini pc or something - the
> other WAPs
> don't
> > use a PC card AFAIK.
>
> ITYF they do.

Ah, interesting.  Does that mean u can buy a cheapo WAP and replace the PC
card with a decent one to improve performance?

> My cheap cards have very little range at all.  I can only get
> 50 metres or
> so.

That would be okay for me - only got a 30m garden :)  Of more concern was
speed - some ISTR offered only about 1 meg/sec, whereas others reached a
whopping 4m/sec - this is with the cards about a foot from the WAP :(

> > Am looking for reasonable performance @ reasonable price.
> > Will want to get a wireless card for my ipaq at some point
> so WAP needs to
> > be very compatible - or aren't there any issues with mixing
> cards & WAPs
> > from different manufacturers?
>
> Not AFAIK, there is a reason for an IEEE standard ;-)

True, but as with the DVD 'standard', the USB 'standard', the PnP
'standard', different ppl interpret 'standards' in slightly different ways
&
u end up with probs.
eg on the DVD front there was a disc and a player about a yr ago that
didn't
get on.  Both were to 'standard' as disc fine on all other players, player
played all other discs, but one or both of them were at different 'ends' of
various tolerances allowed by the standard, so they didn't get along at
all......

> > Should have got combined broadband/WAP router :(
>
> Hindsight, eh?

Tell me about it :-[
Flooded house with Cat 5 but didn't put sockets nr TV (no KAT5 back then)
:(
Rewired electrics but didn't think of X10 :(
Put in wires for burglar alarm but didn't allow for remote keypad thinking
could get wireless keyfob for a wired alarm :-(

the list is endless :-((

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com