Re: Wireless network cards

> > ITYF they do.
>
> Ah, interesting.  Does that mean u can buy a cheapo WAP and replace
the PC
> card with a decent one to improve performance?

Hmmm, not thought of that.  Might be worth posing the question to the
clever
bods at http://consume.net mailing list.

> > My cheap cards have very little range at all.  I can only get
> > 50 metres or
> > so.
>
> That would be okay for me - only got a 30m garden :)  Of more concern
was
> speed - some ISTR offered only about 1 meg/sec, whereas others reached
> whopping 4m/sec - this is with the cards about a foot from the WAP :(

Really?  I get 11Mbps until about 5ft before the end of range where it goes
to 2Mbps.  Of course, what *actual* rate I get, i have no idea.  Ho hum.

> > Not AFAIK, there is a reason for an IEEE standard ;-)
>
> True, but as with the DVD 'standard', the USB 'standard', the PnP
> 'standard', different ppl interpret 'standards' in slightly different
ways
&
> u end up with probs.

true

> eg on the DVD front there was a disc and a player about a yr ago that
didn't
> get on.  Both were to 'standard' as disc fine on all other players,
player
> played all other discs, but one or both of them were at different
'ends'
of
> various tolerances allowed by the standard, so they didn't get along
at
> all......

Gladiator was problematic.

> > > Should have got combined broadband/WAP router :(
> >
> > Hindsight, eh?
>
> Tell me about it :-[
> Flooded house with Cat 5 but didn't put sockets nr TV (no KAT5 back
then)
:(
> Rewired electrics but didn't think of X10 :(
> Put in wires for burglar alarm but didn't allow for remote keypad
thinking
> could get wireless keyfob for a wired alarm :-(

DOH!

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System