Re: NEW ukha project

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: NEW ukha project
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:14:56 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Ray Barnett" <ray.barnett@f...> wrote:
> For my datalogging on the car, I'd want to be able to log for an
absolute
> minimum of half an hour, and preferable enough for an entire day's
worth,
> which would be 2 to 3 hours. Back of an envelope calculations
suggest I want
> about 8 channels of data, being collected at various frequencies,
requiring
> 762 kb of raw data per hour. ish.
>
> Do you happen to have any information on the comparative processing
power of
> the TINI and Rabbit? Ideally I'd be wanting to store data at 100Hz,
and also
> do some processing of it on the fly at the same time to provide
data to the
> driver. Am I dreaming on that requirement?
>
> However, the data logger is some way down the line - someone else
has just
> released a commercial version of 90% of what I'd intended to do, so
I've put
> that project firmly on the back burner behind the thermostat.
>
> Ray.

Rabbit is definitely not a rocket when it comes to processing power,
but I haven't measured the performance on the bench doing realtime
stuff.

To be honest, I'd have thought that an old laptop, perhaps suitably
mounted in a shock resistant cage, might be a better bet for this
kind of application? Or are cost & weight critical considerations
here?

Otherwise, I'd look at interfacing Rabbit (or whatever) to a
solidstate disk or off-board battery backed RAM cache (which is
likely to be expensive in MB quantities). It would also be worth
looking at compressing the data - my guess it is likely to compress
very effectively.

Patrick