RE: Re: Building Node0

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Building Node0
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:26:39 -0000

Hi Andy,

With regard to your plan of doubling up on runs *IF* you have enough cable.

At around 10p per metre, CAT5 cable is dirt cheap. The expensive part is
terminating the cable at around ?2 per patch panel port and around ?5 per
CAT5 socket. If you fit modular sockets then you can populate just one of
the sockets and fit a blank over the other for a few pence and fit the
socket later when you have a bit more money. By not fitting half a dozen
sockets you have saved enough money to buy another box of CAT5. Always
terminate ALL the cables on the patch panel so that the numbering is logical
and you dont have to disturb the patch panel afterwards.

It is false economy to only run a single cable as adding a second at a later
date involes as much work as the initial cable did whereas running two
cables adds a few seconds to the instalation time for the cable run. If
anything, miss out a couple of rooms where you will not need CAT5 in the
first instance. That way, when you come to do your second lot of cable runs
you are running new runs to just a couple of rooms rather than repeating
what you have already done.

With regard to CAT5 longevity... many companies are only just installing
their first CAT5 networks. When CAT5 first came out is was used for 10BaseT,
or 100BaseT over 4 pairs. Now 10/100BaseT runs over 2 pairs and the same
cabling infrastructure is being used for Gigabit ethernet, something which
just a few years ago, everyone was saying would need optical fibre. Imagine
how the people who paid a fortune for fibre must feel knowing that they can
now use their existing CAT5 cable :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv