RE: Lamp Module Dimming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lamp Module Dimming
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:38:55 -0000

> I've never used a lamp module as my lighting is all low energy. BTW
> how much energy does a plug-in module consume? Are my appliance
> modules consuming more energy than my lights?!

I know they consume some juice but, IIRC, it's very small indeed.

> If when you switch a lamp module on, it goes straight to 100% bright,
> how quickly can you dim it? Can you set an exact percentage you want
> it dimmed to, say 73%?

Yes and no depending on the controller/software you use but if it's a
plug-in module they always start at 100% and dim back to the set
level...unless you cheat. What you can do is dim to 0%but this leaves
the lamp on and always consuming juice, not the best option it has to be
said.

> And how quickly can you adjust down to the desired level? Can't you
> automate the dimming, such that the 100% to 73% is achieved in an
> unnoticeable fraction of a second?

You can automate the dimming, but again that's entirely down to the
method used to control the module and no it does take time to dim the
module and you would see it happening. Personally I can live with the
delay but I know a lot of people are disappointed by the way that this
is achieved using X10.

The options are few, the one I would recommend is to use is using an
LD11 instead to, more or less, obtain the features you want as this can
be set to go directly to a preset level using a controller or software.

I am trying to get around to a "how-to" to show people how to do this I
will make all efforts to get it done this weekend if I possibly can.
I'll post the details of it over the weekend I hope.

HTH

K.