RE: Cheap control + whole house display

(Whole house display group, there is a bit at the end to have a look at)
A few answers:

The siteplayer/interface bit and psu would be about the size of a fag
packet. From this box a cable would connect to the palm.  This would b= e
the standard palm hot sync cable or cradle as it also provides power(on
some palms).

Hard buttons.  I will have a play and see what can be done, I hadn't planned on using them but don't see why not.

Andy, where can you find Palm for =A310 ??  Overall I think either a P= alm
V (for the chrome look) or one of the original visors would be best.
They must have a serial cable though! I think the Palm m100 type is not
that useful because of the small screen

The display protcol is http but not HTML.  The siteplayer basically reads from the URL a string and sends it out of the serial port, like
this:

http://192.168= .0.1/comm.spi?com=3D#PageTitlButton1_Button2_Button3_Button4_Button5_Button= 6_Button7_Button8_Button9_Button10

Currently everything is done in 8's so the title and each button have 8
characters. The # is the start character and also the screen selector.
so for the full screen message
http://192.168.0.1/co= mm.spi?com=3D=A3Text of message goes here and up to 80
chars inc CR/LF

As for backlight, can be done. I might just add another character to the beginning to say on or off.

Because of how the link works the server program can tell the palm to
display something at will, it doesn't need to have a button pushed. So
the server could after not hearing from a palm for a while it could tell it to display some info type screen. Could also make it beep like mad if you like!

I think there is already a siteplayer carrier board that will have all
the needed bits, but I can't find any details at the moment!
To those people doing the whole house display project:
I am wondering how these two projects could or should link together.  = I
have and idea where a siteplayer could be "shared" between a palm= and a
display module.

Although only the siteplayer only has one serial port the device could
be selected by using one of its i/o lines, so you could:
http://192.168.0.1/co= mm.spi?selectIO1=3D1
http://192.168.0.1/comm.= spi?com=3DText to palm
or
http://192.168.0.1/co= mm.spi?selectIO1=3D0
http://192.168.0.1/comm.= spi?com=3DText to VFD
This could only be a one way link to the vfd and could only be text of
around 100 chars per message.
Obviously you wouldn't want a palm and a display together on a wall but
the palm on a desk and the vfd above the tv all over one cat5 does sound nice!

Just an idea.

James

P.s. Kevin thanks for the offer about ns basic,  I should have some co= de
in a week or so. If you could compile it that would be great!  Or if y= ou
don't want NS I could buy it of you if you like??

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk