Re: Thunder, Lightning ... and UPS'

From: "Stuart Booth (Stuart Booth)" <lists@xxxxxxx>=
> I just hadn't got around to getting enough surge protection brickettes=
> so not all the equipment are on them yet.
>
> I'm just looking at Belkin's 8-way Surgemaster bricks now. Horse,
> Door, Bolted, I know but it's the catalyst to finishing off what I'd > started.
>
> I guess I should put a single-way surge protected block into the mains=
> socket so that the UPS plugs into that. Then I hang a small selection<= BR> > of equipment off of that UPS via a power brickette. Would that 2nd
> line brickette still need to be surge protected?

I was reading in a newsgroup a few months ago, and funnily enough a thread<= BR> went OT. There was a chap that did surge protection for a living on a right=
rant. Most of what we get domestic is just snake oil, the APC's do it right=
but very little else does. The little thinks you have on plug heads don't d= o
it, and apparently need about 14 feet of lead on the end to allow sufficien= t
delay for the device to kick in. His rant was that you can do whole house protection for about the cost of 2-3 devices that only protect one applianc= e
or extension lead. I checked it out at the time and found that the usual suspects sold devices to protect the whole house for about =A340-60. They a= re
fitted near the consumer board.

I looked for a URL but couldn't find any on my quick search

Bro

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"Click 3D"Click 3D"Avucue2 3D"ACUVUE 3D"FreshLoo= 3D"Focus 3D"Get
Click here to find your contact lenses!

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk