Re: Thunder, Lightning ... and UPS'

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:06:21 +0100, you wrote:

>Okay, I need a UPS. Whole house just powered down for a couple of
>seconds before I hear the roll of thunder just now. Not healthy for my<= BR> >computers.

Oops!

Have you also considered surge protectors on your phone, modem, TV
etc? Must confess, I don't have any and avoid mains protectors to
prevent X10 signals being swallowed by them.

>So, APS, I keep hearing about BackUPS and SmartUPS. Any words of
>advice?

I went for the cheap route and bought a APC UPS for a tenner from a
boot fair, although a new set of lead acid batteries gave Maplin =A360
and me a hernia.

The main thing to remember when sizing UPS is the difference between
the ratings plate on the kit (probably in watts and overrated) and the
UPS rating (probably in VA, which is not the same as watts due to the
power factor).

Just totting up the ratings plates on the kit would give you a UPS
size probably capable of boiling a kettle whilst you wait for the kit
to power down!

Luckily the APC site has a good set of guides and even a database of
kit real-world values that I've used for work before- very useful:
http://www.apcc.com/

>I think I only want to keep certain key items running for a few
>minutes to allow me to power them down if the power doesn't resume.
>I'm not looking for hours of action, frankly. Status updates to the
>computer would be nice too.

Remember one of the largest users of power is the monitor. My server
UPS just powers the system unit and external SCSI drives, although you
may need to power a desktop system's screen to see the buttons to
power down!

James

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near= Newcastle, England
            &nb= sp;    Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were= young,
            &nb= sp;    In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk