-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Booth [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 08 August 2002 12:17
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Thunder, Lightning ... and UPS'

James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:06:21 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Okay, I need a UPS. Whole house just powered down for a couple of
>>seconds before I hear the roll of thunder just now. Not healthy for my
>>computers.
>
>Oops!

Indeed! It then happened again later on. The irony was that at that
very moment the 2nd time I was looking at APC's web site at UPS' !!!

>Have you also considered surge protectors on your phone, modem, TV
>etc? Must confess, I don't have any and avoid mains protectors to
>prevent X10 signals being swallowed by them.

All the HiFi/TV/AV stuff is on surge protected bricks (Superclamped
Russ Andrews jobs, HiFi folks). I've got most of my PC h/w on surge
protection bricks. Sadly this morning when I tested my main machine it
wouldn't power up! I was bricking myself. Turned out the mains lead
fuse must have gone as I replaced it and it worked fine. This was the
only lead *not* plugged into a power brick in fact.

I just hadn't got around to getting enough surge protection brickettes
so not all the equipment are on them yet.

I'm just looking at Belkin's 8-way Surgemaster bricks now. Horse,
Door, Bolted, I know but it's the catalyst to finishing off what I'd
started.

I guess I should put a single-way surge protected block into the mains
socket so that the UPS plugs into that. Then I hang a small selection
of equipment off of that UPS via a power brickette. Would that 2nd
line brickette still need to be surge protected?

>Remember one of the largest users of power is the monitor. My server
>UPS just powers the system unit and external SCSI drives, although you
>may need to power a desktop system's screen to see the buttons to
>power down!

I'm thinking of getting 2 or 3 UPS':

1)  one for my Server which is on 24/7 and any ancillary equipment
around it (ISDN TA [Thanks Paul!] etc). This will eventually be
running any HA software I use (HA content! <he grasps>).

2) another for my WebServer box which will also be on 24/7.

3) and finally a third for my main PC which won't necessarily be on
but is probably the one I most want to protect. I hate seeing the
cross linked clusters and truncated files warnings you get from Win2k
at bootup if it doesn't power off cleanly :(

The only monitor I'd power off it would be my TFT. I can then terminal
server into the other boxes and shut them down gracefully. This then
assumes that my network switch is UPS-ed as well of course.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor