Outlook talking to SliMP3 &/or Homeseer...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Outlook talking to SliMP3 &/or Homeseer...
  • From: "Anthony Livingstone" <anto@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:14:58 +0100

Hi,

I've been playing around with the Rules Wizard in Outlook.
I have multiple email accounts set up that regularly receive a large
volume of emails so Outlook runs 24/7 and downloads emails every 3
minutes.
I have 15 Rules set up to process incoming messages and decide if they
should get an auto reply, moved to a specific folder, play a wav file,
etc.

What I'd like to do is incorporate some means of pushing data to my
SLiMP3 when some of these Rules are triggered.
Just having it flash up NEW MAIL would do but more info would be nice.
i.e. Line 1= Urgent Email Received, Line 2= Subject: "You've won the
lottery."

I can push text to the display from a web browser or from within a
HomeSeer script using the pointers kindly supplied by Paul Gordon in a
great fun sending messages up to the living room tonight and being
shouted at in return. :o)

VB is still a foreign language so creating a VB script within Outlook to
do this is a non starter for me.
I thought of having HS send a preset text message to the SLiMP3 when a
Rule is triggered but I can't figure out how to get Outlook to talk to
HS (are we back to VB scripts again?). i.e. If Outlook Rule1 is
triggered run HS script SLiMP3-Msg1 etc.

Obviously I can trigger the HS scripts manually by issuing X10 commands
but can Outlook trigger them?
Or am I going about this the wrong way altogether??!!
IIRC there are HS scripts that periodically scan pop3 accounts and 'do
stuff' without Outlook running, but I really need Outlook to do it's
stuff first then either push text directly to the SLiMP3 or tell HS to
do it.

I've searched the HS message boards and files and there is very little
mention of SLiMP3.
The SLiMP3 message boards are depressingly void of much activity.
So I thought I'd try here first...

Anybody else looked at this??

TIA

Anto.