RE: Re: Slimp3 question/ rio comparison

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Slimp3 question/ rio comparison
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:07:54 +0100

Ken,

I see that you are well into ripping :-).

I’ve done one or two, yes Nik. ;)

I see that more all-in-one solutions are coming out like Rio Central or this new Compaq server, where you put CD into machine and it ripps CD for you, and stores it on hard drive. Do you have any idea how it compares with manual ripping.

No idea at all TBH, although I don’t care for the idea too much as, even my own CDs alone have no chance at all of fitting on an 80GB drive ripped at 128Kbs, I was struggling to fit them on a 120Gb without the compilation albums!

I know that with manual ripping you have more freedom to choose encoder, bitrate etc, so are those all-in-one solutions comparable in terms of quality or not?

Again, I honestly don’t know  what the story is with the all-in-one solutions but I know Sony are now doing one straight into the UK market (more detail @ http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/vcr/son_HARD1000.htm ) but I, personally, don’t want to go down that route as I think it’s too limiting in the long term.

Someone said that even if you choose same parameters (bitrate etc), there is still huge difference depending of algorythms. Allegedly, LAME is the best.

I used a program called Easy CD-DA on high quality @ 128Kbs and to my ears this sounds fine for day-to-day, general background stuff. Which is what I use MP3 for, I have said many times that, personally, I would not recommend MP3 for anything except background music as it is not what I consider a viable format (yet) for true music reproduction that is comparable to other playback devices I use. For example my CD/DAC arrangement is a Micromega affair which is utterly brilliant IMO and *no* MP3 playback device can even come close to the quality of sound from that even at high bitrates IMO. I have tried the DDAR, the AudioTron and the SliMP3 players and, again IMO, regardless of the player the playback is entirely dependant on the rip I can hear no real difference in the players, or certainly nothing to crucify one on over another, it simply comes down to what suits you personally. So I would assume that the standalone players are much the same and it again comes down to what suits you to use for your needs.

HTH

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor