RE: Meteor

Quoting "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <roaming@xxxxxxx>:

> > reality how many different people regularly call you? I've
> > probably got about
> > 30 numbers in my HSP phone book which took maybe 10 minutes
> > to type in!  (perhaps I should get out more :-))
>
> Granted, 30 isn't a huge number, but:
> 30 in Outlook
> 30 in HSP
> 30 in my mobile
> 30 in her mobile
> 30 in lounge DECT handset
> 30 in kitchen DECT handset.
>
> See what I mean?

Cummon Tony, I think we both know this HA lark isn't supposed to be easy :-)

Surely though, if all your devices are programmed with names/numbers it is just
a case of adding/removing the odd number here and there? Still, I do see your
point.

> Strangely enough, I am waiting for a reply from him as we sepak - his
> website says he only adds stuff if it's useful to all.
> I was just thinking that to retain backwards compatibility etc, it could be
> simply modified so that if the string starts with "MSG:" then it is just
> output as is, otherwise it's treated like a normal name/number pair......

Sounds pretty useful to me!
If he doesn't come good, perhaps one of the lovely Linux bods on the list could
help out?

> Who is vince?

Sorry. Vince is (was?) a member of this group and the guy who persuaded Keware
to add the ability to HS to set CIDname & number. He is also the guy that
introduced me to this list (barst*rd ;-)) and the Meteor. (He is also a lovely
Linux bod with a Tivo :-))

> I see what you're saying but seems OTT to have Meteor AND a modem!

OTT should be the list motto!

> > Having said that, if you have a virtual device which ,for
> > example goes on, when  a call is detected, then that could be used as a
> trigger to
> > send CLI info to your Tivo or whatever. Seems like even more of a cludge
> to me though!
>
> Interesting, I was just saying to someone that really it should perhaps be
> done as a virtual device that I just send the display text to!
> Of course, no idea how to do a plugin (are there docs somewhere) or what
> functions it would have to support, so doubt I'd be going that route.
> If it _has_ to have an 'On' and 'Off' command for instance then yes, would
> be a kludge.  If doesn't need those then as a virtual display device, I see
> nowt wrong - but then as I say, I know nowt about plugins at this
> stage.....

I am working from HS SDK 1.0  http://www.homeseer.com/plugins/pluginsdk.zip

SDK 2 is available but as I don't wish to upgrade HS just yet I've not bothered
with it. I have had a quick look at the docs though and it looks like it might
be possible to introduce custom events & triggers into HS! Looks like this
might be the way for you to go!
SDK2 is here: ftp.homeseer.com/pub/pluginsdk.zip

Cheers,
Justin.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor