Re: xAP - the website... coming soon....

From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
> OK,
>
> We've made an application to sourceforge to hold the PROTOCOL website on
their site.

Cool

> I would suggest that the Protocol is released under GPL, but that
developers are allowed to make their own choice about whether applications
supporting the protocol are GPL or not.

You want to apply GPL to the protocol? I think that is a seriously bad idea,
this should be a BSD style license, or the same one that the RFC's are
released to. I would rather it was BSD + Advertising clause, but then the
GPL lot won't touch it.  Many companies see GPL and run thinking "we're not
giving our IP away". Do we want commercial companies to make products using
xAP?

I don't think the GPL gives the protection that people think it does, for
e.g., can i get the TiVo source anywhere? that is based on Linux and GPL?

> Only plugins released under GPL will be available on the sourceforge site.

There are BSD projects on sourceforge. Was this your decision to go with
GPL? If we want people to seriously consider xAP commercially it would have
to have BSD version, at least the reference implementations should be.

Bro

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor