From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Any advice for ambitious newbie?

> Lots of people here have good stable windows based HA systems with uptimes
> in months rather than days or weeks.  While there is some Linux HA
software,
> the vast majority is Windows and you'll be severely limiting your choice
if
> you decide against it.

As I said originally, I don't want to rekindle the OS religious wars. I have
my own personal reasons why I don't want to use Windows. I entirely respect
other people's decision to use Windows, it's just not something I will be
doing. For what it's worth, my antipathy towards Windows is not primarily
due to its perceived instability, although it's interesting that this is
what Windows users most often assume to be the reason. I don't suppose
anyone is going to suggest that you run a server on Windows 9x, but I am
willing to take people's word for it that you can set up a stable Windows
NT/2000/XP machine, although that is not our experience at work.

My main (closely related) objections to using Windows are (a) Microsoft's
business practices, and (b) the closed-source nature of their software. I
would not claim that linux is easier than Windows. But what I know is that
when I have a problem with linux or any of the free (as in speach) software
that runs on it, the tools and information are available to me to
investigate it to whatever extent I choose. With Windows, if you have a
problem and the answer isn't in the online documentation, you're pretty well
stuffed. And as for their business practices, do I really need to go into
detail? I had months of VBA code wrecked in a company-mandated upgrade from
one version of Office to another, and I am not willing to put myself through
that again. With Free Software, I choose what I want. With MS software, they
try to limit that choice at every opportunity.

But as I say, use it if you want. I have no problem with people doing things
their way. As long as people have no problems with me doing things my way.

> A lot of are doing the same with collections regularly in the 100s of
> gigabytes.

100s of Gb of MP3s? How much music do they possess? Using VBR at a pretty
high quality setting, I can rip a CD into around 70Mb without any loss of
quality discernible to me (but I'm not an audiophile). So my 35 Gb
represents around 500 CDs. I'm pretty keen on music, but 100s of Gb is more
than I would know what to do with (or be able to afford).

> Have you seen the SliMP3, DDAR, Audiotron etc?

I'm sure they're good, but will they also function to playback video, play
games, browse the web, read email, write letters etc? If I want a computer
for these purposes in each room, why not get one box to do everything? It
would certainly please my wife, who would rather I had no technology
visible, and certainly not a handful of boxes for each purpose. Plus there's
the cost factor....

> Do yourself and buy a TiVo (or two if you want multi-channel recording).

How do I watch what I have recorded on TiVo in the rooms where it isn't
located? Is it network-enabled? And can the storage be upped without
invalidating the warranty?

> How many CAT5s per room do you plan?

I know this goes against established practice in this group, but I was only
planning on one run per workstation, plus a few extra scattered around where
I think I might want cameras, WiFi access points, points to plug in laptops
etc. This will probably mean 2 or 3 per room.

> It will be more expensive.  Have you considered hardwired lighting systems
> instead of X10?

This seems to be the consensus view, which is good to know. No, I haven't
considered hardwired lighting systems. I have no idea what that would
involve. Where would be a good place to find out about it?

Having said that, it seems to be quite a common view that X10, while not
perfect, is currently the most cost-effective route for lighting. Is that
fair?

> Personally those low-energy bulbs give off an awful light.

I agree. It's a toss-up between principles and utility. I suspect that my
wife will ensure that utility wins.

> YES!  If there's one area you want a standalone, stable hardware solution
> then it's security.

I've been trying to understand what Comfort gives me, from their website,
but I don't really get it. A lot of what they do can be done just as easily
by a server. Is the main advantage that this kit allows you to use something
other than X10 to control those items where security is significant? Their
website says that the home control functions (including garage door
mechanisms) work by sending a code "down the existing ring-main circuits",
so it doesn't sound much more secure than X10 if it isn't X10.

> My garage doors are wired into Comfort and so can be opened by phone
either
> internal or external to the house.

If this is X10, couldn't this be done as well through Misterhouse or
equivalent?

> I would not use X10 for anything this important! Get smoke detectors that
> hardwire into your alarm panel.

As I say above, I am struggling to understand the difference between X10 and
the way that Comfort communicates with these sort of devices.

> To be honest I'm losing the will to live now and I'm only about half way
> through your post :))))

Thanks for making it that far.

Cheers,

Bruno