RE: Sony Vaio Specs

Thanks Phil,

Ahh, just like BMW then ;-)
I had realised I wouldn't get a CD or floppy, or even a port replicator, but
I thought it was odd there was no mention of serial / parallel interfaces.

> I had an earlier PCG-C1F so I do know what you get in the
> kit, if you want to add a USB parallel and serial port then
> you can do but you'll need to buy it seperately. For getting
> drivers on and off the unit I would use an IBM microdrive in
> a PCMCIA convertor, once you have your network card drivers
> installed it's then easy to use a shared CD ROM drive from
> another machine.

Thanks for the pointers, still trying to get to grips with this :-)

> For installing a replacement OS you will need the correct
> Sony CD ROM drive ... The unit will only boot from the Sony
> drive ... Not from any other make of PCMCIA CD ROM.

Interesting, I wonder why ? other than to boost Sony's sales presumably.

I believe
> the same applies to USB floppy drives too but I can't be 100%
> sure on that as my C1F was supplied with a USB floppy (I
> don't think the C1VE was supplied with the floppy drive as standard).
>
> Phil

+

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor