Re: Linux Recommendations

> > > Similarly, unzipping a file (usually a tar.gzip in *nix) inv= olved
> > > gzip -d <filename.tar.gz
> > > and then
> > > cpio -H tar -i < filename.tar
> >
> > Or alternativly tar zxvf filename.tar.gz
>
> Wow, that's so intuitive too :-)

"tar --help" or "man tar"

> > The "./configure; make; make install " Are the 3 comman= ds required, in
> > this case entered on a single line, not 3 ways of doing the
> > same thing.
>
> Oh right, how obvious is that? :]

Just as obvious as installing things on the "C" drive is to a new= Windows
user.  It seems less obvious to you because you know Windows, but not =
Linux.  If you knew neither, then both would be non-obvious.

> besides "or variations on this theme" is still a contradicti= on of
> "standard"

The "standard" works 99% of the time, but you may introduce other= options
if you like, just like you can click the "advanced" icon in most = Windows
software installs.  The 1% it does not work is like the small number o= f
Windows installers which fail.

> > You may want to look at
> >
> > http://www.webmin.com/
> >
> > This allows the configuration of most things under Linux, includi= ng
> > Apache, and SAMBA.
>
> Thanks, it reinfoces my point though that you have to know these thing= s
> exist somewhere in order to get them to make your life easier.

Indeed, this is one of the things I found difficult moving to Linux.

> > Give openoffice a try, it's considerably better than StarOffice w= as.
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org
>
> Thanks, but I already have MS Office and see no reason to switch from<= BR> > it.....

=A3=A3=A3?

Andy
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.c= o.uk - updated 15/07

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk