RE: Linux Recommendations

Hi Tony,

> Similarly, unzipping a file (usually a tar.gzip in *nix) involved
> gzip -d <filename.tar.gz
> and then
> cpio -H tar -i < filename.tar

Or alternativly tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

> > that need to be compiled from source, even this is fairly standard now
> > (./configure; make; make install, or variations on this
> > theme), but if you
>
> Bruno - you have just said this is fairly standard and then gone on
> immediately to list 3 different ways of doing it and stated 'or variations
> on this theme'!  That is a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one :-)

The "./configure; make; make install " Are the 3 commands required, in
this case entered on a single line, not 3 ways of doing the same thing.

> > Actually, a lot of the free server stuff works _better_ than
> > the commercial
> > stuff (classic examples being Apache and Samba). :-)
>
> Maybe.  Still a b*tch to install.
> About 6 months ago I downloaded apache for windoze, installed it and.....now
> what?
> No frikkin idea.  had to wade thru docs to find out how to set up a website.
> Gave up, went back to IIS - right click, New Web - that's it :-)
>
> The main problem it seems to me with *nix stuff is that nobody seems to have
> heard of a GUI when it comes to configuring/running apps.
> Usually it seems, someone writes some really cool app, totally controllable
> from the command line only.
> Then later, if you're lucky, someone else writes a gui layer for it and then
> more ppl get in on the act so you have 1/2 a dozen different GUI's for MySQL
> for example, none of which actually come with the product, so you have to be
> aware of them to go find and install them, and then you have to know which
> one is the 'best' to do what you want.
> At least SQL Server comes with Enterprise Manger and I/SQL out of the box!!

You may want to look at

http://www.webmin.com/

This allows the configuration of most things under Linux, including
Apache, and SAMBA.

> I thought that was buggy as hell, slow, feature free - or was that v5 of
> Star Office?
> I remember there was a lot of hype when it was announced, then it very much
> didn't live up to expectation......

Give openoffice a try, it's considerably better than StarOffice was.

http://www.openoffice.org

Finally you may wish to consider using Ximian Gnome as your desktop
environment, http://www.ximian.com/ we currently use this for our
desktop on ~30 machines, with no problems, includes several nice
features including Redcarpet, a GUI from end to handle software
installation.

Any problems, or general question feel free to mail me off-list

Regards

Stuart

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor