RE: Bloody BT!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Bloody BT!
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:08:54 +0100

How much more expensive would it be to install an ADSL-enabled analogue
line
alongside your ISDN line?

I used to use ISDN2, then analogue for years but the switch to ADSL has
been
a revelation. I've been using ADSL for about 11 months now. Despite BTs
best
efforts, it's been very reliable. Performance is excellent the majority of
the time and the connection really is 'always on'. For the moment, at
least,
you don't have to worry about receiving one of BTs 'special' letters. It
really is a hell of a lot faster than ISDN - when performance drops it's
pretty well always because of problems elsewhere in the network.

You could add an analogue line with ADSL to your existing setup. That way,
you'd retain the benefits of HH, get the connection speeds of ADSL and have
yet another telephone line available - perhaps hang a RAS server off it!
Cost wise, you'd pay for the analogue line installation + line rental over
and above what you'd pay if you could convert your HH line to ADSL.

Oh, yeah, ditch the Proxy Server (MS Proxy 2?) and install Win2K (or even
98) and ZoneAlarm Pro. I used to use Proxy Server before ADSL and I really
don't miss it!

Just a thought.

Steve