RE: Bloody BT!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Bloody BT!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:18:45 +0100

>I'll be honest Paul, I still have ISDN 2e (because I have an ISDN
cordless
>PBX) as a backup, but I haven't looked back since going to DSL. It may
be
>that takeup is particularly low at my exchange but I have never seen
speeds
>of less than 400k, and I test it regularly.

Yeah, I imagine I might be being just a little picky over the speed issue,
but I did calculate the "worst possible case scenario" - 512K
between 50
users = 10.24K!! - granted, whilst that's "mathematially
possible", it is in
reality highly improbable, BUT, BT make absolutely no guarantees whatsoever
about available bandwidth, and if they ever pull their finger out and start
marketing (and pricing) the service properly, individual speeds are only
ever going to get worse, unless they reduce the contention ratios, or at
least offer a "minimum bandwidth" guarantee...

>I would keep the HH, AND get
>ADSL. Its worth it for the speed advantage alone.

Nice thought, not (financially) possible unfortunately! - I'm already
paying
£55 per month for my combined HH + Anytime package. I couldn't possibly
justify another £35 on top of that for a DSL line... It's got to be one OR
the other I'm afraid...

>It is now possible to get it without any equipment whatsoever and
supply
>your own DSL router - so that solves the NT4 problem!

True, - but what's the presentation that BT leave in that instance? - I
recently bought an ISDN router (which I'm still "playing" with
before
letting it go live), which also has a 2nd ethernet interface designed to be
a broadband upgrade. (It's the Vigor 2200 from www.seg.co.uk). so I've
already spent £220-odd for an ISDN router which is supposed to be
upgradeable for broadband, but it still requires ethernet presentation...

Paul G.