Re: OT - Canon IXUS

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT - Canon IXUS
  • From: Ian Oliver <ioliver.lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:27:16 +0100

In article
<17A46A8BD7E7D41199E300508BE3A94C01D55739@xxxxxxx>,
Steven
Dickson wrote:
> I know some of you own this camera.  My local Dixons is having a refit
and
> as such is selling off all the display stock.  There's a digital IXUS
among
> other cameras for £280, with box etc.

A *very* nice camera.  The newer model is the Ixus V and it can be had for
£369. The main extra feature is short video/audio recordings. I have heard
of
the Ixus being sold off for as low as £250 when Boots closed down their
photography section.

> What can I look for other than the obvious
> dents scrapes etc.  Is there a hidden system menu that tells me date
of
> manufacture, hours of use etc?

I don't know.  I'll have a hunt through my Ixus V manual.

> The camera appears to be ok, other than it want's the clock and date
set
> when powered up - would suggest possibly a new standby battery?

I suspect that there's just a supercap to handle this and that leaving the
main battery out for any length of time will do this.

> There's an
> 8meg card, instruction book, cable and some software in the box - what
else
> should be there?  It comes with a full warranty.

With our Ixus V we got CF card, charger, manuals, 2 CDs, USB lead, video
lead.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire