sparkies part 2

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: sparkies part 2
  • From: "Tracey Gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:36:31 +0100

Hello Julian

I've just started running my CAT5 cable in the shell of the house that
I'm self-building.
I've pulled/drawn in 4 runs, (5 cables per run) of about 25m in length
in a day.
It's rather slow as I'm doing it by myself but to do it much faster I
reckon that I'd need three people doing it.
One pulling the cable out of the boxes on the ground floor, one feeding
it round a bend up at loft level and one pulling it 15m or so through
the loft space.
As it is I have do run up and down ladders and scaffolding pulling about
3m through at a time.

At the rate I'm going your 162 runs would take eight days and at say £25
per hour for an electrician that's about £1600.

You don't say how many back boxes you need chopping out and installing
but
I'd guess at something like 40 back boxes?
If you allow 45mins per box that's another 30 hours at £25/hour which
gives
us another £750.

So with £1600 for pulling the cable in and £750 for the back boxes,
you're
already up to £2350, add the cost of your CAT5 cable and the boxes and
you're
getting close to the £2928 quote.

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in and your sparkies might
well
be on more than £25/hour, if you're in the south-east?
I got the £25/hour rate from the "poor" farmer who self built
close to
me,
in rural Lincolnshire

It's the labour that kills all these jobs!

Tracey