Re: Re: Something to Make TIVO owners cry.

> But the product is out on display so it's used anyway!

Ok. Thats a little different. I was think of my experiance when a lot of
items are not on display.

> This all comes rolling round to the same thing ... and it even
includes
the
> sparkies thread too.
>
> We all want something for nothing. I go to a dealer in Glasgow for AV
kit
> and advice - not because he's cheap, but because his advice is good. I
pay
> for that advice in that I pay full RRP for kit and it costs me 120 in
fuel
> to get there.
>
> The chains are - ultimately - box shifters maximising profits to the
> shareholders (as any business should) by slicing a bit off RRP to
tempt
the
> public and paying whatever wages they can get away with.

Thats it basically. Although in my case nothing was hardly ever sold at top
price as that was i guess generally made up. eg. the telescope that went
from 169.99 to 19.99

> If you want good advice then be prepared to expend time and effort
(and
> money) getting it ... my friend in Glasgow spent a long time with a
customer
> sorting out a hifi system that sounded the way that he wanted. This
included
> several demos at the shop and also a final home demo ... they then
heard
> nothing from the customer for about a fortnight until he called back
saying
> "I've bought all the stuff you showed me on the internet as I
could get a
> better price but it doesn't sound right ... I still need the cables so
can
> you supply those and come set it up for me?" He was astounded
when my
> friends company were not exactly willing to supply the cables at cost
*AND*
> set up the system for free!

Well that is taking the research a bit far!, of course i ment on the net
for
a net purchase. I'm suprised 2 short words were not used.

> It's the same story with your sparkies ... maybe this one that's being
> discussed is charging high but without getting to the house and
discussing
> it with the sparky there then who knows?
>
> It's just unfortunate that in the case of a TIVO then the only place
you
can
> get them is from the box shifters or the chains...
>
> Phil

That is a shame, but the likes of comet,currys etc. should have info
leaflets similar to the B&Q/wickes 'How to'

Steve.

busy
its
> > easier to move on to next customer.

> [...]