RE: Sparkies

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Sparkies
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:07:49 +0100

Before we get too mercenary over the prices here perhaps one or more of the
sparkies that contribute to this group would like to make comment.

Regarding prices for cable etc. ... we (as confirmed DIYers) are quite
happy
to try several different places to secure a better price however
electricians have their dealers with whom they have credit terms etc. and
hence they don't tend to shop around on a day-to-day basis for the best
prices for the customer - they look for the best terms for them. After all,
they are well aware that the customer is going to sit on their invoice for
as long as possible before paying up and the last thing they want to do is
shell out "x" amount of money straight away when they might not
get paid for
a couple of months! If a supplier gives them a month to settle an account
then that's a month less that they're out of pocket - if they're more
expensive then the cost just gets passed through to the customer anyway.

I'm not saying that this cost is correct - it does seem high to me too -
but
I'm just saying that there's other reasons apart from being a
money-grabbing-basket for prices to be higher.

As an example ... an electrician friend put me onto CEF recently for some
parts, even offered to let me get them on his trade account if I needed to
and settle up with him on the billing date. For some of the stuff that I
got
they were dirt cheap - 305m of CAT5e for about £29 IIRC but for other stuff
they were quite horrendously expensive, CAT5 outlets and wall plates were
scary prices!

Phil